Reasons I love living in the U.S.A. on our 233rd birthday:
1. The 4th of July. Barbecue, parades, sparklers, fireworks.
2. We have the prettiest flag.
3. You can drive anywhere without asking permission. Even across state lines. And stay as long as you want.
4. Blue jeans.
5. You can love or hate books like The Shack, or The DaVinci Code, but they’re not forbidden.
6. We have real cowboys.
7. And Indians.
8. You can freely mock the President. I think we take that for granted.
9. The Freedom of Information Act. Our government will voluntarily give you information about itself.
10. You can send a letter to any one of over 111 million homes, and it will be delivered to precisely the right one in only about two days, for just 44 cents.
11. New England clam chowder.
12. Alaska and Hawaii.
13. You can have as many children as you want.
14. Libraries. All the books you can read – 6 at a time – for free.
15. Thanksgiving Day.
16. The Bill of Rights.
17. You can paint your house any color you want. Unless of course you live in a California homeowner’s association.
19. An efficient sewage system. Pretty sure we take that for granted.
20. Microsoft and Apple. (Um… you’re welcome.)
23. Gospel music.
24. Rock ‘n Roll.
25. Water you can drink right out of the faucet.
26. An orderly election process and the peaceful transfer of power.
27. “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal…”